The Latin American e-commerce platform known as Rappi will start selling Bitcoin (BTC) to its customers. At the moment, the company is one of the most important tech startups in the region and has been dubbed by the media as the ‘Latin American Tech Unicorn.’ The information has been released on October 6 by the local news source Cripto247.
Rappi to Sell Cryptocurrencies
Rappi clients that want to purchase Bitcoin will be able to do it in the future. Although it will only be available in Colombia (at the moment) it can expand to other countries in the future. The feature is currently being developed, but interested users can already sign up in order to have exclusive access to buy the most valuable virtual currency in the market.
The company didn’t explain when or how users will have access to these services. Rappi is headquartered in Bogotá, Colombia, and operates in Mexico, Uruguay, Brazil, Argentina and Chile. However, more than half of its customers come from Mexico.
Sebastián Mejía, Rappi’s co-founder, said that the company wants to sell everything to users. Those using the platform can purchase medicines from pharmacies, send cash to other individuals, request dog walking, and buy products from the supermarket.
The company was able to raise more than $200 million dollars in August. Some important investors were Sequoia Capital, Andreessen Horowitz and DST Global.
Cryptocurrencies have been expanding in Latin America at very interesting rates. For example, in Argentina, there are several companies accepting virtual currencies as a means of payment. Some time ago, we wrote at CoinStaker that Garbarino Viajes, an important travel agency in the country, started accepting crypto payments for their services, including hotels and plane tickets.
Colombia and Uruguay will also be hosting an important event at the end of October and the beginning of November. The Blockchain Accelerator event will take place in these two countries and Argentina.
On the matter, Sasha Ivanova, Blockchain Accelerator Coordinator for Argentina, commented:
“The blockchain technology ecosystem is moving very fast and this year we have seen that it provided important changes. The first part of the year we were more focused on different theoric elements and because of that there were events related to sharing knowledge, but for example, the last Blockchain Summit Latam and other events included Hackathons to design solutions that bring this technology closer to people.”
- New Bitcoin Sidechain will allow Initial Coin Offerings (ICO) on Bitcoin
- Horizen May Just Have Found a Way to End the 51% Attack
- Bitcoin Rat Pops up on Wall Street: Claws up and Teeth Ready to Tear Down the Fed
- Bithoven Exchange Announces New Margin Trading Services For Users After Several Requests - Jul 11, 2019
- Binance Exchange Launches a New Fiat Crypto Exchange Called Binance Jersey - Jan 17, 2019
- VISA Compra Earthport, Socia de Ripple, Luego de Cerrar un Acuerdo Por £198 Millones - Dec 30, 2018
- VISA Acquires Ripple’s Partner Earthport After Closing a £198 Million Deal - Dec 29, 2018
- Report Says Cryptos Could Soon be Legalized in India - Dec 28, 2018
Know more than others on any Blockchain Party!
Join more than 5000 others to receive the breaking news and weekly summaries! No ICO spam, we promise.
You have Successfully Subscribed!